Sunday, September 27, 2009

I realized that I hadn't posted in a couple days so let me see if I can do a recap. I wish that I had better news, but Reid hasn't had a very good couple of days. His breathing hasn't gotten any better and is struggling to maintain normal oxygen levels in his blood. Over a short period of time, the nurses can wein him off the larger amounts of oxygen, but he slowly starts getting tired from working harder and then has to have a little more help. His carbon dioxide levels in his blood are a little high, but his kidneys seem to be compensating as his pH levels are about normal. His body is fighting hard to ward off the infection, but can't do it all by itself.

Today is the fourth of fourteen days of his antibiotic for his lungs and is the last day of the other antibiotic for his blood infection. The cultures have shown that his blood infection is no longer present, so that is a little bit of good news.

The doctors have made a couple orders for today: 1) chest xray; 2) an aerosol to help open his lungs (much like an asthma patient would be given); 3) a new CPAP that will help keep the seal around his nose by way of a mask; 4) continuous feedings. The xray should let them see if there is some unnecessary fluids on his lungs that are hampering his breathing. If so, they will administer another drug to help with that. The hospital doesn't have the other CPAP device, so they are currently looking at the sister hospital (Kennestone). And if they don't have it, they will be renting it from somewhere else. The continuous feedings are the equivalent of 20cc every three hours but are distributing it over a longer period to lessen the chance that a swollen/full belly can press against his lungs.

He has also been taken off his lipids that he has been receiving since birth. He is now getting all of his nutrients from the milk, so he has one less IV bag hanging next to him.

And that is about it. I have a few pictures to post but will do that when I get home. Just wanted to get a posting done while I was at the hospital. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment