10:15 pm: [Kristen's Blog] If I hear the question: "Is this normal for Reid? This is my first time with him and I don't know him at all" one more time I think I will burst into tears. I'm not sure if today has been tougher on me or Reid but either way we are both exhausted. I'm not sure what is difficult about following a schedule and feeding a baby, but Reid's feeding schedule has been messed up twice now. Couple that with the fact that he is flooded with water through his nasal canulas at least 4-5 times a day which makes him lose it and then leaves him exhausted (who enjoys getting water up their nose?), and a nurse tech who asked ME if she had connected all of his tubes correctly because she was unsure of how to do it. This is the same nurse tech that for some reason could not walk into the hallway and tell the secretary that she was unable to take a phone call, but rather shouted it over Reid's crib into the intercom while he was sleeping. She then proceeded to say: "If I am not loud enough, they can't hear me".
The final straw today was when it took not one, but two girls (I say "girls" because I have no idea if they were nurses, nurse techs, secretaries, or volunteers) to go through my frozen breast milk and make sure it was labeled correctly all the while laughing and making comments about how much milk there was, and how I was a "machine", and "holy cow! look at all of this milk!" Really? You work in a Children's Hospital and I don't even know your name and you're going to make comments like that? Give me a break.
So needless to say, Chad and I are less than impressed with the TICU. His first comment to me today was "what kind of circus is this?". And to top it all off Reid is back on 3 liters. We are actually taking steps backwards now. Great. Apparently the nurse drew a gas this morning after Reid had just had a meltdown and what a shock, it was high (69)! So they pushed him from 2.5 to 3 liters and at 10 am repeated the gas. This time, he was sound asleep and low and behold it was a beautiful 55. Hopefully tomorrow if he has another good gas he will go back to 2.5. And the poor baby is back to daily gases, rather than just twice a week so that the doctors can get to know him better and see how he trends. I really don't understand this and strongly doubt that daily gases are necessary. His poor little heels! And honestly, this whole water up the nose deal needs to get corrected. I've requested that they bring in the NICU's high flow set up so we'll see what happens. Several times today I've just wanted to say, "can you just call the NICU and ask the nurse or respiratory therapist about Reid, they know him really well".
We left Reid tonight around 8:30 and he had just fallen asleep. I pray he can sleep through the night and regain some of his energy for tomorrow. He had a traumatic day and I can't remember the last time I saw him cry as hard or as long as he did today.
I hear there is a free bed open in the NICU. Any takers?
Kristen, it breaks my heart to read your blog tonight. You know that I will be praying day and night for that precious baby and for you and Chad. There is no excuse for any of that. I pray that he will have a restful, peaceful, night.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Louise
Dear Chad and Kristen. We are so sorry to hear that life is still tough for you guys. We hope the transition to the TICU will get better real soon. Know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Please give Reid a big kiss for all of us!
ReplyDeleteTerri Brooks, Adonica Pike and all the nurses at Cobb NICU
We're thinking of you constantly and praying that things will get better real soon. I hope that today has been a better day for all of you. Much love to you - Shannon, Brian and Evelyn.
ReplyDeleteKristen I am so sorry to read this post. My thoughts are with you guys every day... we still pray for you every night as a family... much love to that baby boy of yours! xoxo Janalin
ReplyDeleteCan you go back to Cobb?
ReplyDeleteKristen -
ReplyDeleteMy heart breaks for you. I know you just want to get home and have all this as a bad memory.
I think about you guys a lot, and say a prayer for Reid and for his parents whenever I think of you.
Hang in there with the pumping. I endured endless comments and eyebrow raises concerning how much milk I produced. Their comments are stupid and unnecessary, but it helped me to focus on the fact that I was doing a stellar job of producing nutrition for my sick baby. It's not easy, but just ignore them. You're doing an awesome job in every way. Hang in there. You're almost done.