Monday, June 7, 2010

9:30pm: In the nine months that Reid has graced us with his presence, we have never seen Reid fight harder than he has today. This morning was the lowest of all lows and thought the worst may be upon us. This morning, he was put on the maximum ventilating support possible. The room was quiet and absent of doctors and therapists - just Reid, mom, dad, grandma and grandpa Elley and lots of prayers. It was the first time that we had witnessed a critical situation like today and have little to no medical staff around to give us the peace of being alone with our little loved one. The machines had to do their work and if they failed, there was no backup plan to go to.

Reid, over a period of very stressful ups and downs, decided that he wanted to turn the corner and not look back. When Kristen blogged at 11am this morning, Reid was heading in one direction and has somehow managed to come down to 44% oxygen (satt'ing 98 to 100) and has had beautiful blood gasses. At a level below 50% O2, they are now able to start weaning some of the other support and so far, has done an awesome job.

Today, outside of the oxygen and pressure support changes, they have resumed feeds, started a few new drugs/steroids, got an arterial line in his left leg and a central line in his femoral artery in his right leg/groin. He definitely has things connected to him and has been poked more times than we care to think - but if this is what it takes, this is what we will do.

I sign off tonight being emotionally drained, physically exhausted (7 hrs of sleep since Saturday morning) and the proudest daddy in the whole wide world. We have witnessed first-hand all of the prayers that are being sent this way and are floored by the large support group that we have seemed to band over the past 9 months. It is an honor to have each and everyone of you in our lives!

11:03am: I don't want to jinx us but for the past hour Reid has consistently been sat'ing in the high 90s. The respiratory therapists have weaned twice on some pressures and Reid is apparently liking it. Go baby! Go!

7:40am: We have been here with Reid since 1:30 this morning. He is in very critical condition. We had him baptized and now we simply ask that you pray for his lungs to open up. His upper lobes are closed and he is not oxygenating well at all. He's on the max settings of everything and his sats are ranging from mid 70s to low 90s. Soon some of the settings will have to be weaned for fear of popping a hole in one of his lungs.

We've come so far and Chad and I keep second guessing ourselves with regards to his latest surgery. Hard to believe that just a week ago I was holding and playing with my happy, smiling baby boy. He's fighting so hard--please pray that he can hold on and that his lungs open up.

18 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Peace for all of you. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. All my thoughts and prayers are with you. Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many prayers being said for all of you right now from your nurses at Cobb NICU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just joined your blog and am so sorry about what you are going through. Warmest wishes and prayers for Reid and his parents! Susanne Kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a fighter for sure!!!! Thoughts and prayers are constant right now. Praying specifically that you get to see his little smile again real sooon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep fighting baby boy! Thoughts and prayers to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are praying for Reid everyday! ANd our thoughts are with you and Chad for you to stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reid couldn't have done what he did today without two things: God, and you two! He has such amazing strength because his parents do, and he gets that from you. He knows how to fight because you have taught him how to fight. He knows he is loved so much. You two are amazing parents, and an inspiration to us all. The love and strength you are giving Reid are what got him through. I think we've witnessed a miracle on many levels today. God Bless, Aundria

    ReplyDelete
  9. ALL of this is WOW! All of you are beyond description. Please rest yourselves. Love, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. We couldn't be more proud of Reid but also of Chad and Kristen. You are the best Mom and Dad to baby Reid and he knows it. The only word for all three of you is WOW!!!!! Love you all, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear Reid is being so strong. Continued prayers for all of you! Frances

    ReplyDelete
  12. My prayers are with you. I am so sorry.
    Love - Carol Blythe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kristen and Chad--I'm so sad this day has come, after all you and Reid have been through. You all fought the good fight, with faith, hope and amazing resilience. Your strength as a family amazes and humbles me. It was my privilege to care for Reid, and you. Now I know God will bless you with peace and comfort, although it may not feel that way yet. He has already blessed precious Reid with new life--I know he is busy lighting up heaven with that sweet smile. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing he's strong and safe now, and that you'll see him again. Please call if there is anything I can do for you today. Love, Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Chad and Kristen, I have been following your blog, and I was very sad to here Reid had passed away. My thoughts and prayers go out to you both. I am sure Reid is in a better place.
    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sra. Elley and Mr. Chad,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I know words will never bring comfort, but I pray that God gives you peace for each day. We are praying for you and love you!

    Love,
    Jensine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kristen & Chad,
    I work at BPI with your mom and have been praying for Reid since before he was born.
    One morning a few months back as I was praying for Reid, God put in my mind and on my heart that Reid would be a mighty man of God. I knew that was from God and didn't doubt what I heard. When I heard that Reid had lost his battle, I realized that he had been a mighty man of God. In his short little life he has brought many people closer to the Lord as they have spent time praying for him and calling out to God to rescue him. He has maybe even been God's instrument for some to receive the gift of salvation. I can now just hear Jesus saying to Reid, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You are a brave little soldier in my army."
    Much love,
    Karen Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Kristen and Chad,
    It has been an honor and a privilege to have known Reid and to pray for him and for you both each day. Reid's strength and nobility during his amazing fight are an example to us all. We are forever enriched by having known him. Reid could not have asked for more dedicated parents to be his champions.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you both at this very difficult time.
    All my love,
    Zubeen Mehta

    ReplyDelete