Tuesday, November 17, 2009

^Kristen’s Blog Entry^

Reid had a very successful day of breastfeeding this morning. He nursed for a full 15 minutes!! He enjoyed it so much that we had to turn down his oxygen from 60% to 50%. I think I have figured out that 9:00 am is when he is happiest and most willing to try. Last night at his 9:00 pm feeding I tried and he wanted nothing to do with it. He possibly could have been worn out from nursing briefly that morning, drinking a whole bottle for lunch and enduring yet another eye exam. Poor little guy. Today though, upon seeing Reid's success, his nurse and and I did a little happy dance because we were so excited! This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for and what has made all of this pumping nonsense worth it.

The eye exam showed some new capillary growth but no new progress has been made. He is still in Stage III Zone 2 of ROP. This lack of progress is good and exactly what we have been praying for. His next eye exam will be next week so we will continue to pray for his eye capillaries to stay right where they are.

Reid also had a chest X-ray at 4:00 am this morning. His lungs are showing some improvements but according to Dr. Metcalf they also show us why he is still on the CPAP. Argh! His poor little nose is so bloody and irritated from all of the “scuba” gear. We just keep thinking that one of these days he is going to turn a corner and we’ll never have to see another CPAP ever again. It is quite amazing that he is breastfeeding and bottle feeding while having all of this gear on him. I don’t think a lot of the nurses (or doctors for that matter) have seen babies do this before. In addition, I think our doctors are more willing to try these feeds with Reid due to the successful studies Columbia University has completed on preemie babies and CPAPS. :) Thank you Columbia University!!

Reid continues to gain weight. Last night, he was at 5lbs 4oz and is now eating 42cc of 26 calorie fortified milk every 3 hours. And because of the volume, he spits up and poops just like a normal baby! :)

Other than breastfeeding, not much else is new in our little world. My friend Teri from Dallas, TX is coming to visit this weekend, so I can’t wait for that. And our friends Alison and Amit become official home owners tomorrow so I’m sure a celebratory glass of champagne will be drank in their honor at some point this week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to read about Reid's progress! Glad Teri is visiting- when's my turn ;)

    ReplyDelete