Sunday, January 31, 2010

9:15pm: No real updates to note (other than he was moved into a "big boy" crib. We are anxiously waiting for the next gas test around midnight tonight... In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures that Kristen took today:







2:30pm: They have moved the tube going through his mouth into his stomach to his nose and will hopefully reduce some of the excess secretions that he has been having. I asked the nurse last night about this as I was concerned about the amount of fluids that he was losing and wondering if this had any impact on his electrolytes and indirectly on his CO2. Not sure if it is the answer, but I am glad that they are giving Reid a chance to prove himself and try to make small tweaks to see if they can isolate some of his issues of a higher CO2.

When Kristen text messaged me earlier, his O2 was at 38% and zonked out. I love how he has a bib on in this picture to help absorb the saliva that seems to steadily pour out of his mouth.

11:45am: Kristen just took off to the NICU and is meeting my sister, Shannon. I am going to take a break from the hospital today so that I can get some much needed work done. I am starting to hate Sunday's because I always put work off until after dinner and then I start to get grumpy (and nobody likes a grumpy Chad). So today, I am going to attempt to get ahead of the game and get some work done early. There are a couple of errands that I want to run today too --- but we will see if that happens. :)

Not much news this morning on the Reidster. Kristen called about 9am and he was on 35% oxygen and they probably weren't going to take another gas until 4pm.

4:30am: Reid's gas tests didn't go as well tonight as we hoped they would. Around 1am, his gas had a CO2 of 72 and at 4am, it had come down a little bit to 67. Ideally, he needs to be below 65 to be acceptable, but are hesitant in taking any action. The next steps would be either to go up on the pressures again, or go to CPAP. However, being that he is fighting an infection and is taking antibiotics, they want to give him the benefit of the doubt to see if he can rebound on his own. He was able to have normal CO2 readings following the first two days of extubation, so I am hoping that he can turn the corner. They are also curious to see what happens when they give him his lasix to see if that can help take away some of the fluids on his lungs to help bring down the CO2 as well.

On a different front, Reid was weighed again tonight - 4.13kg or 9lbs 2oz. This is a gain of about 3 oz since he was last measured.

No comments:

Post a Comment