Sunday, April 18, 2010

11:00pm: Still nothing growing on the lab work - so I think they are going to write off the fact that there could have be an infection. They have ordered an echocardiogram for tomorrow (Monday) to see if there has been a change in his pulmonary hypertension - as this could have an effect on his oxygen saturations as well. This makes me a little nervous as he is already on the maximum dose of sildenafil. Kristen and I are grasping to find a reason for his elevated requirements - maybe this is something is related to teething? I stuck my finger in his mouth to feel around on his gums and didn't feel anything - but I also didn't know what I was really feeling for. He actually enjoyed this and he chomped on my pinky for a few minutes - never sucked on it, just gummed away...

Otherwise, it was a pretty uneventful day. He was, for the most part, in a pretty good mood. Tonight, he weighed 6.67 kg or 14.7 lbs.




12:15am: labs are still showing negative for infection and we are almost past the time window where if something was going to grow, we would have probably already seen it. So, that is the good news. The bad news is that no one can seem to put their finger on what is going on. He is still on 6 liter flow and about 75% O2. My parents visited him this morning and Reid ended up having a "blow out" while my mom was holding him. It managed to get his clothes, half way up his chest and back and stunk to high heavens. And that single event triggered him to cry like I have never heard him cry before. And it was a rather chaotic visit until about three o'clock when he woke up after finally calming down. And when he woke up, he seemed to be back to his normal self and seemed to be in a fairly good mood. And about two minutes later, Kristen and her folks arrived and was able to enjoy the smiles and cooing. I guess I took one for the team and was stressed out for a good three hours dealing with a baby that was out of control. Felt like I needed a beer after I finally handed him over to Kristen.

He didn't sleep well last night, so I think that he was extremely tired and needed some rest. In fact, when the nurse gave him a bath tonight, he fell asleep during the middle of it. And when the nurse was trying to dress him, he could barely keep an eye open to see what was going on. Hopefully tonight he can get a good, deep sleep and have a more even keeled day tomorrow. Personally, I would like to enjoy holding Reid when he is in a good mood. :)

We are a little frustrated right now with the uncertainty as to what is going on. His temperature is fine, he isn't acting sick, and for the most part, he seems to be his normal self - just with high oxygen requirements. We are crossing our fingers that we can put a finger on what is going on. Please keep him in your prayers - they seem to have worked in the past. :)

2 comments:

  1. Blow Outs! The Joy of Parenthood!!

    -Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying every day!
    Aundria

    ReplyDelete