Wednesday, May 5, 2010

10:30pm: I guess we have overstayed our welcome at the Egleston NICU - in 6 weeks, we are getting the boot and are going to be moved to the TICU (Technology Dependent Intensive Care Unit) down the hall. It is a smaller unit and primarily focuses on kids (birth to 21 yrs old) that have chronic pulmonary issues (I would imagine that most kids are on a trache). Reid is apparently too old/big for the NICU, so I guess it must come to an end. I am praying like heck that he comes home before those 6 weeks expire, but realistically don't think that he will be.

My mom said it well tonight, even though Reid had a little setback earlier this week, we need to think about the positives. While it is really hard for me to wrap my brain around a positive thought these days, Reid's breathing has been better since they put him back on the 3 liter flow. And with easier breathing, he can be more active and maybe this is a time for us to focus on his physical therapy and his developmental growth. PT is really focusing on elongating his trunk as a baby's length/height is one of the more critical areas for lung growth. So, the 'positive' for the moment is that we are to focus on making Reid bigger and stronger....

Kristen was finally able to visit Reid today. A happy mom makes for a happy dad. I am excited that she got to visit with him! She said there was lots of smiles and he did lots of 'talking'. Of course there was lots of talking -- he hadnt seen her in a few days.... and well, Kristen is female.

Reid's latest numbers: weight = 7.00kg; height = 62.7cm; head circumference = 42.4cm.


Here are a few pictures from the past few days... Not sure if I have posted any pictures of his new tape-job - he was having some skin break down in the previous place, so they had to move it out further towards his temples and a small piece on his nose to give his cheeks a break. I personally hate the tape on his nose (but there isn't much I can do about it). The second image below has Reid in action as he is rolling to his side (his latest trick). The third image below is Reid in his summer beach gear --- unfortunately, there there is no sand or sun involved!



1 comment:

  1. Althought there is no sand or the beach at the NICU, he has big dreams of being at the beach in the future. He is such a cute baby and can't wait for the day that you bring him home. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete