Reid Phillips Elley, born 2 September 2009, in Austell, GA, was called home to the Lord on 13 June 2010. After nine months in the hospital, Reid lost his courageous fight and was overcome by the challenges of a premature birth. Reid’s presence was all too brief but he brought joy and courage to his family and loved ones each day he was with us. Reid is survived by his parents Chad and Kristen Elley, Smyrna, GA; grandparents Ben & Georgia Elley, Sunset, SC, Bill and Carol Hart, Woodlands, TX, and John Bell, Leavenworth, KS; Great grandmother Maxine Hinton, Manhattan, KS; Aunts and Uncles Todd and Jennifer Williams of Atlanta; Brian and Shannon Pagel of Alpharetta; David and Erica Mills, San Antonio, TX; Laura and Rocky Rosenberg, Poulsbo, WA; Bob and Kerryellen Hart, Savannah, GA; Amy Hart, Austin, TX; Great Aunts and Uncles George and Nicole Elley, Tempe, AZ; Tom and Debbie Phillips, Manhattan, KS; and numerous cousins. Services will be held on 17 June 2010 at 1pm at the Davis-Struempf Funeral Home in Austell, GA. Visitations will be held from 11am to 1pm. In lieu of flowers the family has requested donations to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta in memory of Reid Phillips Elley. Donations may be mailed to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Attention: Steven Wagner, 1687 Tullie Circle NE, Atlanta, GA 30329.
5:30pm: We will be holding a visitation between the hours of 11am and 1pm on Thursday, June 17th at the Davis-Struempf Funeral Home in Austell, Georgia. At 1pm, a funeral service will commence. Following the service, there will be a grave-side burial service (site yet to be determined) and we will be hosting an open house for those that wish to join us afterwards.
Davis-Struempf Funeral Home
1975 East-West Connector
Austell, GA 30106
770.994.2900
www.davisstruempf.com
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, where we have set up a fund that will be directed specifically to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Reid's name. Please send donations to the following address and be sure to include Reid's name.
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Attention: Steven Wagner
1687 Tullie Circle NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
You may also go to www.choa.org and donate online. You will be able to donate in Reid's name there as well.
Chad and Kristen Elley
4930 Durley Lane
Smyrna, GA 30082
8:00pm: Two hundred and eighty five days have passed since Reid graced us in September with his early announcement into this world. Unfortunately, it is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that Reid lost his battle today. Our little man gave everything that he had and he has taught us some valuable lessons in life - the most important of all - to never give up. When doctors, nurses and therapists repeatedly told us that the odds were stacked against us, Reid always found a way to prove them wrong. Today, Reid didn't give up. The body that carried his spirit gave up. He could take no more.
Reid was surrounded by the closest of family and friends today as Kristen and I made the most difficult decision of our life - to let him go. His body, bearing the numerous battle wounds he had endured in the past 9 months, couldn't take it any more and we couldn't selfishly keep him here for ourselves.
He went peacefully and has gone home.
Kristen and I no longer fear death. We anxiously await the day that we meet him again in the glorious kingdom of heaven - where we will find our little boy picking up frogs, digging up worms and doing all of the things that little boys do.
This closes a chapter of our lives that wasn't ready to be closed. We are empty and lost but we will find our feet again. And we will find them again with the support that we have in each one of you. While we have our core group, there are many of you out there that we have never met that sent your prayers our way. We thank every one of you and we couldn't have made it this far without you. As I sign off for tonight, I request that each and every one of you please post a comment - even if it is as simple as writing your name. We have 40+ followers on this blog but know there are many, many more of you out there and we would appreciate it if we can know who was cheering Reid on from the sidelines.
9:30am: Around midnight last night, Reid's saturations started to fall and his CO2 and pH levels started to go in the wrong direction. They decided to go down on the hertz on the oscillator to 7 (from 8) to help pull off some of the excess CO2. After what seemed to be about 30 minutes after the orders were made, the respiratory therapist finally came in and made the change on the hertz, but also did something that she wasn't supposed to do without doctors orders - go up on the mean pressure. She took Reid from 22 (which was our landing point) back up to 25. As soon as I saw her do this, I went out in the hallway and asked to speak to the doctor. This was against the plan and is pissed me off.
We had a 20 minute conversation with the doctor to tell him how frustrated we were and that we didn't know where we were going. When he saw what had happened, he was equally frustrated and said that we will have to work on weaning it all over again. He even commented to the fact that he was happy with the progress that Reid had made during the 18 hours that the doctor had been here... and that it had all been thrown out the window with the mean pressure increase. His last words as he walked out the door was that he was going to have to have a 'talk' with the therapist.
Fast forward to this morning, the hertz was lowered again to 6 (lowering is actually increasing) as his CO2/pH balance was still not where they wanted it to be. In addition, they went back up on the Nitric Oxide from 4 to 5.7 PPM - even though they aren't confident that it is even doing anything for Reid. His sats yesterday hovered in the 90-92 range but today when we walked back in the room this morning, they were 96. His latest CO2 was 63 and a pH of 7.33 --- good for Reid.
Kristen and I both noticed that he looked really puffy today and appears that he is retaining a lot of fluids. As of about 30 minutes ago, they started a dose of lasix to see if that can clear off some of the excess. His morning xray showed some increased haziness in his lungs - which usually equates to fluids. So, we are hopeful that this will help him out.
We are worried about how long he has been on this level of support. Obviously being on artificial support for extended periods of time is not good - Nitric Oxide, over a period of time is toxic; over-extending your lungs is not good either. The uncertainty of it all is killing us, but we are quickly approaching 2 weeks since surgery.
Hang in there you guys. We know it's so hard when everybody on Reid's medical team is not on the same page and things start happening that go against the plan you talked about. You guys are being fantastic advocates for Reid. You're doing a great job. Reid's going to pull through this and so are you. Still praying all the time.
ReplyDeleteI was looking forward to meeting Reid in person someday. I am thankful to him for being a daily reminder for me and many others of so many things that can be easy to take for granted: the beauty and fragility of life, the power of love uniting family, the miraculousness of every breath we take. Kristen and Chad, thank you for sharing Reid's life with us. My heart goes out to you.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Laura Kanost
I am so heartbroken for you and your family. You made the hardest decision any parent could ever make today. With tears in my eyes, I am praying God lifts you and Kristen up and provides you with His strength until you meet your beautiful son again. Much love, Kelly Columbus
ReplyDeleteI don't know the right words to say -- so I will just say that I know Reid is with Ilana right now -- and they are playing together without needles, bells and tubes. I know what you are going through as I have been through this and had to make the same decisions you have had to -- even at the end. My heart is with you.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is heavy as I read the blog tonight about your sweet baby boy. He is "resting" in the arms of Jesus tonight, and tomorrow he will be praising the Lord in a healthy body. No more needles and no more pain. I can't begin to imagine what you and Kristen are going through but please know that my husband and I will be remembering you in our prayers. We will pray that the Lord continues to give you strength, comfort and peace. As parents what a story you have to tell and what a witness for the Lord! God Bless you both. (I golf with your mother Chad....what a sweet lady)
ReplyDeleteCarol Hudson
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry to hear of Reid's passing. In his short time here, he could not have had more loving, devoted parents. God bless him.
Love,
Andy and Niki
My heart is heavy and sad tonight. Thank you for sharing Reid with all of us...even though I never got to meet Reid he had become a part of my life. Kristen and Chad, I pray for strength and comfort for you. All my love ~ Sara Tadda
ReplyDeleteKristen, our thoughts are with you, Chad, and your family. Reid was blessed to have such strong, loving parents fighting on his side through all the ups and downs. I hope you guys are able to find some peace very soon. - Leigh & Jason Bloom
ReplyDeleteI'm so incredibly sorry and saddened to hear of your loss. I hope that somehow, someday, you are both able to find a measure of peace knowing that Reid is in a place where he no longer has to struggle with the physical limitations this world brought him. Much love and prayers to you both.
ReplyDeleteBecky Richmond
We were amazed at what a tough, little fighter Reid was. We are so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteDave and Barb Richmond
Hi Chad and Kristen
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry to hear about Reid's passing. He gave it his all and I will defineately remember him for being such a fighter. You both are in my thoughts and prayers. If I can do anything please don't hesitate to ask. Take Care
Nancy Ware
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry! I cannot imagine having to face the decision you made today, but Reid deserves to be in the pain-free place he now is. Reid was blessed with the most wonderful and strong parents he could have ever had. You could not have been better advocates for him. You are true role models. Susanne Kelley and family.
I am so heartbroken to read Reid's blog tonight. Heaven just received the most handsome and sweet little Angel!
ReplyDeleteSending love and prayers to you and Reid.
Kathleen Brungardt
I am a friend of your parents here at The Reserve, and met you and Kristen briefly in our Market here. Like many others, I check your blog several times a day, and have been amazed at the strength and grace that you, Kristen, and Reid have shown. (Though I am not surprised knowing the same qualities in your parents.) My prayers have constantly been and continue to be with you and your friends and family as everyone goes forward.
ReplyDeleteNancy Howard
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers every minute. Reid was such an amazing little fighter and was so blessed to have you both as parents. There is now a special angel in heaven!! I know you have an amazing family but if you need anything at all, I am just a phone call away. Love you both. Many many thoughts and prayers.
Amber McMillian
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so deeply sorry to hear of Reid's passing. But we must remember that Reid will only experience an unsurmountable amount of happiness in his new home. Please find comfort in knowing that heaven is not measured in time, for it will only seem like minutes until little Reid welcomes his Mommy and Daddy!
God Bless you.
Bernadette Darragh
We’re so sorry to hear this. All three of you have fought so hard. Reid is at peace now. We are keeping you in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteLove, Justin and Shay
There are not enough words to say what all of you have taught me. Love, patience, advocacy, tenacity are just a few. The power of prayer; the center of family and friends. It is a beautiful story. The idea of Reid doing child things with God is just the picture of peace we want to have and you have given that to us. Thank you for including us on this journey. You are brave and wonderful parents. Love, Cathy
ReplyDeleteChad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so saddened as I read your blog tonight...as many others, I would check many times a day to see how you and Reid were doing. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. Your thoughts and feelings are always so eloquently written. Reid was a special boy and he had two of the most amazing parents. Much love and prayers of strength and peace...
-Jessica Allin
Bless you.
ReplyDeleteChad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI have been following Reid's blog for about 6 months. I've never met you, but feel like I know you through reading this blog. I have been so impressed with your care and attention. I know that although Reid's life on this earth was short, he felt great love and care from you. It is my prayer that as you mourn his passing that you would find peace and move forward in your life with strength and happiness. Sending loving thoughts and prayers your way...
-Kim
Chad and Kristen:
ReplyDeleteWe are so sad to read your news this evening. I can't imagine your loss and no words can soothe your pain at this point, I am sure. Reid was so lucky to have parents like you both - even if for a short time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Kristen - I am here if you need to talk.
Sara and Dale
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is filled with sorrow thinking of what you have been through today. Saying I am sorry for your loss will not make it any easier, but I am. Jesus said in John 14:2 " In My father's house are many mansions, if it were not so I would have told you so. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." Christ has prepared a place for Reid and you guys too. You will see Reid again in a perfect setting. No medical equipment or medication. You will hold your baby boy as it was meant to be. Cry out to Jesus in this time of need and He will give you unspeakable peace and comfort you will not be able to explain. Matthew 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." God promises to meet you were you are and comfort you. Chris and I will continue to pray for you and your family. We love you very much.
Chris and Ashley Schultz
Kristen and Chad
ReplyDeleteI am saddened indeed to hear of Reid's passing.As Kristen's Sunday school teacher in Kindergarten I have been following the blogs at least daily since December and you all have been in my prayers.
It is a great loss to you and your families I know, but God and your many friends will support you and see you through. Reid was blessed to have such devoted parents. Joanne Ochs
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for you both to hear about Reid's passing. The three of you and Reid are all stronger than I have had to be in my life. You have all been in my prayers and I don't pray much.
Hunter Matheson
Kristen & Chad -
ReplyDeleteThere are no words. I'm so, so, so sorry. Reid was so brave. You both have been so brave and strong. I'm proud of you for how you fought this fight with him. I know we've never met in person, but if you need anything now or down the road, please don't hesitate to contact us. Just because Reid's home now doesn't mean the prayers stop. We will remember you in our prayers as you struggle in your grief to pick up the pieces in the coming weeks and months.
We love you,
Rachael, David, and Luke Chisholm
Chad & Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry for your loss. I don't know the right thing to say or do. All of my friends, family and I have been praying for Reid. We are all heart broken at this news. I will continue to pray for you and your family. God bless you.
Jennifer Matheson
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so very, very sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet baby boy. I have followed your blog for months now, and have prayed regularly for strength and health for you and little Reid. I know Reid is in the arms of the Lord now, and I hope that knowledge will bring you some solace as you go through what no parent should have to endure. Reid was such a lucky little guy to have such wonderful parents- so committed to being with him, advocating for him, and loving him through such challenging times. Thank you for sharing his life with so many people. I will pray for continued strength and peace for you guys. Love, Frances Dingman
I am heartbroken tonight reading of Reid's passing. He was an extraordinary boy with two extraordinary parents. You will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth Bennett and family
Kristen and Chad - I cannot imagine the sadness that must be yours today. We know Reid is at peace but you miss him and will always miss him. Kristen, I think we only met once or twice but I adore being with your mom and Erica and so I have known you are just as special as they are. Chad you are an amazing father and husband with all that you have carried for your family. Reid felt the love of both of you every day of his life and you have given so much to so many with your demonstration of determination and courage. You remain in my family's prayers as you will continue with that strength I have no doubt. May his memory be for an everlasting blessing. Love to you all, Nancy Kirschberg
ReplyDeleteOur dear friends,
ReplyDeleteOur thoughts are jumbled as all we have felt is pure grief today. Over the past nine months you have so eloquently kept us all updated about baby Reid. Through his battles and victories, we saw three amazing souls shine with courage- Reid and his parents. Thank you for having this blog to allow us to get to know Reid during his short time here. We are thinking of you from Utah.
Much love,
The Pagels
As one of Reid's nurses from Cobb I feel blessed to have known Reid and to have been able to follow his ups and downs during his short life. He was such a fighter! Your family has been frequently in my prayers and will continue to be. I pray for peace and healing for you and Kristen during this difficult time.
ReplyDeleteKristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteOur hearts are broken with the news of your loss. May you find comfort in knowing your little angel is at peace and always be proud of the tough battle all three of you fought for him. Our deepest thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.
Courtney & Ryan Myers
The keyboard on my computer is full of tears that are falling from my face. I am so sorry, Chad and Kristen. My heart is so heavy. I have prayed and prayed for Reid, and for you both. So many people here in Kansas have been praying for you all, and keeping on top of Reid's progress. I am just so, so sad. But God has answered all our prayers because Reid no longer has to suffer and is home with Him in a place so wonderful we can't even begin to imagine it. You two are the most amazing parents, and what a gift you gave to that little boy. There is no greater love than what you gave him. You did all you could do. I will forever admire you, and pray for you. Thank you for teaching us all how to be strong and fight with grace, and how to love unconditionally. All my love, Aundria Ashkar
ReplyDeleteI was so sorry to hear about what happened. I heard about you from Scott and Laura Martin's blog, and I've been so impressed by how both of you, and of course Reid, stayed so strong in the face of overwhelming challenges. He fought so hard, and now he is at peace. I know right now you must be in incredible pain, and nothing anyone can say can change that, but I hope you will find some comfort knowing your son is with God and that so many people are praying for you and ready to support you. I will keep praying for you and your continued strength. Thanks for sharing Reid's life with everyone. He certainly made an impact on my life.
ReplyDeleteSarah
Chad and Kristen... my heart is so heavy for the both of you and there are no words that I could even begin to type that would express my sorrow for you and your families. We will continue to pray for you and for Reid. And as Aundria said you two were the most amazing parents. To give a baby life and love was amazing gift. Reid was loved more in his time with you than many children ever have known. Much love- Janalin Hood
ReplyDeleteWhen I learned of Reid's passing, I envisioned our Campbell greeting Reid as he entered the glorious gates of heaven. They are running and playing, laughing and smiling, free from all medical equipment and being the strong little boys they are. God blessed Reid with two amazing, strong, and wonderful parents. We love you.
ReplyDeleteScott and Laura
Praying for you!!!
ReplyDeleteMy dearest Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is just aching for you both. I can't express how sorry I am to hear the news. Know that I am both crying with you and standing with you in prayer.
"And the peace of God, which surpasses every man's understanding, will guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7
"...we ourselves are comforted by God." 2 Corinthians 1:14
May the "God of all comfort" be strengthening, comforting and guarding your dear hearts.
All my love,
- Meghan -
My heart is with you as you go through this tough time. Reid was such a fighter just like his mommy and daddy! I'll be praying for you guys through this tough time, but know you will meet again...and in a better place than this!
ReplyDelete-SC
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you both and with Reid. Travis and I have prayed so much for Reid and we know that he is doing wonderful in heaven and he can look down on you and smile at the most wonderful parents he could ever have. We love you both,
Annie and Travis
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am writing this with tears in my eyes. I have had the joy of getting to know the 3 of you- from Reid's first day in this world as his therapist til now. Reid's early arrival has truly been an emotional journey for the two of you and for the hundreds of people who have been touched by his short life. I not only got to see what a real fighter he was up close and personal but I got to also watch as the two of you grew into parenthood the hard way. Kristen I remember how timid and scared you were in the beginning and how Chad had endless questions about everything, both of you trying to figure out how to handle a tiny premie in the NICU. Then I watched as Reid's little personality began to grow and how the little things like holding his pacifier in place made him such a happy little camper! I am looking at a few of the pics you sent me and I will always treasure them. He will always have a little place in my heart as I am certain he is the strongest baby I have ever known. He fought so hard to be with you guys and over and over he amazed us all. His lung disease was so deceiving because he looked so good on the outside. He was such a handsome little man and I want to thank you for allowing me to be a part of his life and a part of yours. I will continue to pray for the two of you to have strength and for the Lord to bless you with peace. Reid is no longer hooked up to machines or oxygen but up in heaven , running carefree and looking down at his devoted, loving parents with his beautiful little eyes and long eye lashes and he is smiling. He knows how lucky he was to have been loved by the two of you!! And I know how lucky you are to have been blessed with such a special little boy who has shown us all about life, love, patience, and our faith in God. May God watch over all 3 of you now and always.
All my love, Shelley Hickerson
Words can not express what we are all feeling right now! I am in shock and still can't process...What I do know is that Reid was a true miracle from God and you as his parents were nothing but amazing! I hope you surround yourselves with family and friends in the days and weeks to come. Please know that even though we have never met, you have friends in San Diego to visit if you ever head this way! I am sending you the biggest hugs possible and will be thinking of you always! Your guardian angel is sitting on your shoulder now and will continue to bless you throughout your lives. Much love,
ReplyDeleteNicole, Mike, Zachary, Luke and Jillian Romeo
Go with God precious child. I have been honored, privileged, and very blessed to have had you and your parents grace my life. You have my heartfelt prayers for comfort and peace.
ReplyDeleteDr. Mike
Kristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is so heavy in sadness for you. The three of you have been so strong and brave over the past nine months I am humbled to have you as friends. I am so sad that I didn't get to meet your wonderful baby boy in person, but I am glad to know his is no longer in any pain. Thank you so much for keeping us all informed as I'm sure it hasn't been easy at times. As with so many people, Eric and I care deeply about you and your family and will continue to keep you in our prayers.
que Dios les bendiga,
Erin & Eric
My friends, David and Rachael asked for prayers for you and I wanted to let you know that my heart is touched by your blog about your precious son. What an example you have been to others! I will be thinking of you and praying for God's blessings to give you strengh in the coming weeks and months.
ReplyDeleteChad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWords cannot begin to express the sadness we have in our hearts for you. Reid graced all of our lives with his strong will and amazing little smile. What beautiful, graceful parents you two have been to him. We will miss Reid for the rest of our lives and know that we will be reunited with him in Heaven. We love you, Shannon, Brian and Evelyn
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry about the loss of your beautiful, courageous baby boy. I am sending you tonight a prayer for comfort in this difficult time. You both fought so hard for him, and you have been so strong. May God bless you.
Un abrazo,
Neysa F.
I found out at about 4:00 today. Lynda was emotional on the phone when I told her. There’s a tear running down my cheek as I write this.
ReplyDeleteReid was a part of our lives, through you. Claire spoke many times of one day meeting him. She cried the hardest.
I can’t begin to imagine what the two of you have been through. My heart is heavy. I have no doubt that he’s thanking God that you are the people you are, and for all the love you gave him.
Tonight, as I try to seep, I will see Reid, holding that frog, smiling and looking down on the two of you, in peace.
Steven Elley
Kristen and Chad... I am so heartbroken to hear about the loss of your sweet baby Reid. My heart and my prayers are with both of you and I pray that God will put His strong arms around you and carry you through the days and months ahead. You are such amazing parents and so many people have been inspired by his life and your incredible love and faith. Sending love to both of you... Mckenzie
ReplyDeleteKristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteWe think of you daily and have been deeply touched by your story and inspired by your fortitude. Reid has left something of himself in all of us. Our thoughts are with you.
Tom Springer and Cristina Tarazona
Kristen -
ReplyDeleteI think it has been almost 15 years since we last saw each other, but i will never forget the friendship we started over that one quick year in high school. I remember talking with you about Chad back then and when we reconnected I was so happy to see you guys had gotten married. As i caught up on your life i learned about Reid and began reading your blog every day on my way home from work, even sharing a sweet picture or story with the strangers around me on the bus. I even found myself checking for updates sometimes multiple times a day... I became one of Reid's biggest fans. I cannot express in words how i felt to read your blog post today.... and i cannot assume to understand in any way the pain that you are feeling. But the one thing i do know without a doubt is that God is fully in control and just as he planned Chad for you he also planned Reid for you as well. I will never stop praying for you and your family and i look forward to when i get to meet Reid in heaven.
Suzanne Joiner
My wife and I are sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family. Reid will be in our memories forever. We will pray for his brave soul and our thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteKristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteI'm heartbroken for you both. I wish I was there to give you a big hug. You have been so strong this past year - it is amazing really. I take some comfort in knowing you have each other to lean on and so many wonderful friends and family members.
All my love & condolences,
Jenn Day
Dear Kristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteThanks to Hillary, I had the chance to follow 9 months of Reid's amazing life. Today is therefore a very sad day for us too. But I strongly believe that the best is to come for Reid. He has certainly already been welcomed in God’s garden and looks at you down on Earth, thanking you for being such good parents.
All my wishes, be strong, Reid will lift you up when time will have come for him to do so.
Anne-Claire
Dear Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteAmber has kept us informed about your sweet little Reid and I am so sorry for your heartbreak this morning. Remembering you both with love and prayers,
Judy McMillian
Dear Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing Reid with us for the past 9 months. Each day I would check the blog, as well as get daily updates from Alison. I would share the news and pictures with my office staff, and we would all keep you in our prayers. Each and every day someone asked how baby Reid was doing. It is such a testament to the powerful impact all three of you have had on so many lives when you read these messages. You have shown tremendous courage in your love and commitment to being wonderful parents. We will continue to pray that you will be comforted knowing that Reid is whole, enjoying new life in heaven. And while I did not get the pleasure of meeting him here, I hold strong to the belief that we can all get to be with Reid one day when we, too, are home.
Debbie
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am at a loss for words this morning, but know that baby Reid is now in a place with no pain but only joy. He has filled my life along with numerous friends and family with a spirit of hope and strength. You and Chad are the most amazing set I of parents I have ever known, and I mean that. Please let us know at some point if you need anything. Love you all,
Lara
Dear Elley Family,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of Reid. He gave you all the gift of his little self, and he was awesome.
Hugs and prayers to all of you.
Betsy Hance
John and Charlene Long
ReplyDeleteKristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. Reid was such a little fighter. What a beautiful smile, I always checked your blog hoping to see another photo of his grin. Thank you for sharing him with us. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Chris Mohn
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss, I know that Reid is now in heaven waiting for you both one day. May God comfort you right now.
Kim Moss
Foothills Community Church
Seneca, SC
I have been following your blog for a few weeks now and have never commented, until now with teas in my eyes. I don't have the words other than I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I will continue to think of you and your family.
ReplyDeleteDear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteWe are obviously heartbroken and filled with sadness after hearing this news about Reid; but as you so rightly expressed above, he came to this earthly world for a priceless purpose, even if for an apparently short period of time. More importantly, he has overcome death to join the ranks of the blessed children up there in the Kingdom of God.
At least from our perspectives as Christians, to have faith is to truly believe, with all our hearts, in something that lies beyond our existences here on Earth; this represents the very reason why we must continue to move forward with righteousness.
I (Ricardo) leave here two short verses of Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy, for me the most beautifully inspired literary work of mankind (Paradiso, Canto XXV):
"Lift up thy head, and make thyself assured;
For what comes hither from the mortal world
Must needs be ripened in our radiance."
"Hope," said I, "is the certain expectation
Of future glory, which is the effect
Of grace divine and merit precedent."
You will surely meet him again and rejoice with him as a brave little boy in the Heavens above, worry not..!
With our prayers from Switzerland,
Ricardo and Heather
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI've been following Reid's life from the beginning, praying daily for your family. He was such a fighter. I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you during this difficult time.
Cori Rogel (Hillary's friend)
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your loss. Reid was such a fighter, and I feel so lucky to have had the chance to meet such an amazing little boy. I know he touched the lives of many people.
Jeff Lubin
Elley Family-
ReplyDeleteMy heart is heavy for you as I read of Reid's passing. Please know that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of prayers being sent up for your family.
"For where there are two or three gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20
Blessings,
The Dosses
Chad & Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWords cannot express how sorry I am to hear about Reid’s passing. I’ve followed his journey daily and he was an amazing fighter. You and Kristen are two of the strongest people and are an example to all of us parents and I praise you for your strength. You inspire me. I hope you find peace and comfort in these coming days, weeks and months and know that Reid is now watching over you and will be your guardian angel forever. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I send my love.
Jenny Hacker and Family
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so sad that I never got the opportunity to meet Reid. Everything about him represents what I want to be myself (Strong, brave, a fighter and someone who loves those who love him very much). The time he was here with you both and your families was a gift and I'm sorry that we weren't all able to share that with you. He is a healthy, happy baby somehwere else now and I hope that brings you both some peace. I have some much respect for the poise, grace and amazing parenting you have both done over the last year. I love you both very much and I am always a plane ride away if I can do anything for you.
All my prayers and love,
Teri Sowder
I prayed for Reid all weekend and could not wait to come back to work and check on him. My heart is so heavy and breaking for the two of you. I found your blog thru Laura Martin's site--I found her thru a friend of a friend. I can not imagine what the two of you are feeling right now--I can only pray that Jesus will carry you in his arms and comfort you with his peace and love. You two are such beautiful people, and Reid was such a precious little boy. You will continue to be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteSamara Nicholson
Kristen and Chad -
ReplyDeleteI'm so very sorry to hear of Reid's passing. He was really a fighter, and he couldn't have been given a better set of parents and advocates. You've both been so selfless in sharing his and your journey with us - we wish you peace.
Laurel Wittman (friend-of-a-friend from Hayfield)
kristin and chad... i am so sorry. God bless you all.
ReplyDeletelove, Nichole Covert
My sincere heartfelt love goes out to you and Kristen.
ReplyDeleteI have been following sweet Reid's strong fight through Aundria. You all have been and will continue to be in my prayers and thoughts.
God Bless you both and your families.
Sincerely & with Love,
Barbara
My heart and my prayers are with you all.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, we've never met - but I've followed your story though a friend and I've prayed for you during your journey.
May God grant you the peace for today and every day until you are reunited for all eternity with your precious son.
~ Dana
I took care of Reid in his very early days, and I have followed his progress since. My heart is so sad for you. I pray for the day when memories of him will bring you more smiles than tears. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteDeena
Cobb NICU
Oh Kristin and Chad, I have only been off of work for two days, and was surprised and saddened to read your post this morning. I did come in to check on you all on Saturday morning, but Kristin was sleeping and I didn't want to disturb her. Reid looked beautiful as he slept then too. We all ache for the loss of Reid's wonderful little personality and spirit. He will be in my heart for a long time to come. My heart is with you.
ReplyDeleteLove, Melinda (melrosefly@yahoo.com)
For such a short life, Reid has imparted within us a spirit that will live on forever. Through the words of Chad and Kristen in the daily blog we were able to enjoy his wondering eyes, determination to roll his tongue and make faces that brought us joy. The times we have spent with Reid have always brought us strength but the strength of Chad and Kristen has been beyond words of expression. Even in Reid's last moments, their courage showed an unselfish love for Reid that only a parent could hold. We want to thank all of the Doctors and Nurses at Cobb and Egleston for their support and care for Reid and for their special friendship to Chad and Kristen. A special hug for all who have been such strength to us with their prayers and words of support. To all we send our eternal thanks. For Reid, thanks for being such a joy in our heart. Grandpa & Grandma Elley
ReplyDeleteI've followed Reid's journey through a mutual friend, Lara, and recently, your blog and think of your family often. I'll continue to send my prayers from Indiana as you hold each other up during this time of reflection and mourning. Your ability to articulate the experience in real time is truly inspiring and a blessing. May Reid's precious soul rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteRebecca
Chad and Kristen, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of little Reid. May our Lord give you His peace and comfort during this time.
ReplyDeleteDonna in South Carolina
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so very sorry. My heart goes out to you and pray that God will give you peace. I hope that you find comfort in the fact that you are surrounded, supported, and thought of by MANY! My condolences,
Jessica Giddens Meyring
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches for you, but I thank you for sharing Reid with us. I never realized what a part of my life he had become, even if it was just checking the blog daily to see the updates. I looked forward to the day that our little boys would play together, and it breaks my heart that that will never happen. I wish we could go back in time to when we were young and innocent and had not experienced any pain or grief, of course we also would not have been able to experience the pure joy of looking into our children's eyes and seeing them smile. That alone is worth it. Reid has made me appreciate life and all its wonder just a little bit more. God bless you and your family,
Crystal
Hi Chad and Kristen:
ReplyDeleteI live two houses from your precious parents, Chad, and I also attend Foothills Community Church in Seneca. Between The Reserve neighbors and the Foothills Community Church prayer ministry and ladies bible study group, I can say that hundreds of people have been praying for Reid and all of your family.
I was recently reading that God rewards each prayer, each glance, each petition beyond anything we might imagine. Your family and their strengh, hope, and love have blessed me over these past months beyond what I could ever express in words.
Today is a day of praise that Reid is safely cradled in the arms of Jesus. It is also a day of prayer that God will continue to strengthen all of you during this time of mourning.
Love and blessings, Becky Israel
Dear Chad,
ReplyDeleteWe are blessed to be living here at the Reserve with your parents. We have been following Reid's journey and the struggles that you and Kristen have been going through the past 9 months. Your whole family has been in our prayers and our hearts are heavy today to hear your sad news. You and Kristen are very brave people and your courage and steadfastness have been an inspiration to many. Know that you will continue to be in our prayers as you go through this next Chapter in your lives. May God's peace be with you today.
Mike and Nancy Kennedy
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWe are heartbroken to hear of Reid's passing and can't begin to imagine what you are going through. Reid was such a fighter, and was blessed to have such amazing parents. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Sending love and prayers to both of you and your families. Pete and Steph
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so, so, sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain and heartbreak you are feeling. I have been praying for you all since Kristen was expecting and I will continue to pray for peace and comfort for you! Thank you for keeping us updated with this blog and letting us be apart of your lives! Felicia (and Dave) Dillard
Kristin and Chad-
ReplyDeleteI have been rooting for baby Reid, checking this blog regularly throughout my day for updates, silently praying for your family.
I cannot express how terribly sorry I am for both of you, and wish you nothing but eventual peace.
It was truly a joy to "know" your son.
Love, Ashley
kristen & chad~
ReplyDeletemy heart is in pieces for you. i'm not sure i've ever bonded with a baby or a family the way i did with you all. i can remember calling in at night to request to be his nurse~ it was such an honor & priviledge to care for sweet reid. so many incredible memories of his life... his first bath, reading books at this bedside, his intense love for his pacifier, all his super cute & trendy outfits, & especially those ice-blue eyes. i saw both of you so much in him- not only physically, but also in his spirit. he was the most determined, strong-willed baby i have ever known. and there are not words for the amazing parents each of you are. i am in awe of your courage & strength. without a doubt, reid's life has changed us all deeply. i know i will never be the same having known him. thank you for sharing him with us... allowing me to love him & care for him. reid was truly a gift~ he will be in my heart forever. love you both so so much.
~ rachel gross
Words cannot express the heartache we feel for you. Joelle and I prayed for Reid every sing night...please know that you will be in our thoughts and prayers in the days, weeks, and months to come. Tiny Reid captured our hearts many months ago and as he has grown, his story of strength and endurance has been such a inspiration! We will miss Reid. May the love of family and friends during this time help ease the ache in your heart and help you find peace.
ReplyDeleteGod's blessings.
Philip, Kara & Joelle Bouillette
Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this news. I have been following your blog for a long time and I think about your family often. My heart goes out to you, Chad, and your family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Trish Ajello
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI have never met either of you, but my heart breaks for you both. What a great gift God gave you both in Reid; and what a great gift you two were to Reid. The story of Reid's precious life and your journey by his side has without a doubt touched MANY people. Sending my thoughts, prayers, and love.
Emily
Kristen and Chad, I could not fight back the tears when I was at work last night and found out. What a sad end to a battle we thought we had won so many times. Reid will no longer have to suffer, he is at peace in a place where he will certainly always be smiling and playing. Running, building sand castles and doing all of the things he never had the opportunity to do. He will run to you with joy and open arms and no tubes attached to him the next time you meet. I loved Reid with all my heart and he will remain in my heart forever. I am praying for you guys right now that God grants you peace and may you be blessed for being such amazing parents. I love you both. ~ Melissa Goodbread
ReplyDeleteKristen and Chad I am so sorry for your loss. Reid was such a fighter and made me realize how lucky we are to have had our lives touched by him. I am praying for you and Reid. Love, Andrea Bristow
ReplyDeleteKristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Reid's journey with all of us - it is inspiring to see how many lives he has touched. Strength you obviously have, so I will pray for comfort and peace for you and your family.
Stefanie (Jeff's friend)
Kristen & Chad, I have no words for this incredible loss. I know Reid is at peace and I hope your hearts find peace as well. We will continue to pray for you.
ReplyDeleteLove, Stacey (Fuller) Ulman
Kristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteYou are such brave and loving parents..There is a place in Heaven for you both with Reid. We have been following your blog everyday and praying for you, for your families, and most of all for Reid. Your sweet baby had the heart of a lion!
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI was so sad to read the blog last night. I have been following it every day. Reid was a strong and beautiful little boy, who is now resting in heaven. I know your parents at the Reserve and know what a loving and supportive family you have in them. They will be there for you to lean on during this difficult time. God will strengthen you. Thank you for sharing Reid's journey with us.
Love
Judy Columbus
Kristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteWith tears in our eyes, we are so very sorry for you and your families. As you know, we have read your blog almost everyday, feeling too far away but at the same time very close in mind and spirit. Your picture of Reid playing now, picking worms and chasing frogs, makes our hearts bleed but at the same time dries our tears with gratefulness. No more pain, no more tears, only play and laughter forever. You are both truly wonderful persons, the best parents ever for your beautiful little boy. We will keep you on our mind as always, even though more now than ever. Our families keep you in their thoughts and prayers in Spain and in Sweden. We love you so much. Love, Elin & Alejandro
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry to hear about baby Reid. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you during this sad and difficult time. We live a couple of streets away from Chad's parents.
Patti and Tom Shull
Dear Kristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is still heavy with grief, but so encouraged with thoughts of baby Reid in heaven. Thank you for sharing your journey with us all for the last 285 days. Every time there was good news, I thought, Go Reid Go! I was so happy when he was doing well. And when I read that things weren't going well, I said a little prayer for him, sometimes with my son, and sometimes as a family we prayed for you guys. You have touched us in ways you'll never know. Praying for your peace and comfort. Reid is so incredibly lucky to have you as parents.
Laura, Tim & Alex
Kristen & Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is just broken for you, I am so sorry for the loss of sweet little Reid. I have always been convinced there is an extra special place in Heaven for babies and children while they watch over their parents and loved ones till they are reunited one day & I know Reid is right there, smiling down on the incredible parents he was so blessed to born to. I love you both & send you stregnth, peace & love.
xoxo,
Linsea Cobb
Dear Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI cant tell you how heavy my heart has been since last night. I've kept Reid in my prayers since his fight began, and will continue to pray for him in his new journey. I have no doubt that his courage and strength were not only a reflection of him, but that of his two wonderful parents. My love to you both.
-Smitty
Kristen & Chad
ReplyDeleteAunque la noticia de la perdida de vuestro hijo Reid es muy dolorosa, estoy segura de que este angel que ha pasado por vuestras vidas siempre os estara acompañando, feliz de estar libre de sus cadenas pero sobre todo orgulloso de tener unos padres tan maravillosos.
Mucha fuerza. Un beso
Virginia
Ronda (Espana)
Praying for peace for you all.
ReplyDeleteI was heartbroken when I read your story today. I have been thinking about your little boy all day. I do not know you and your family but felt a connection to you and beautiful baby Reid. I recently had a little boy who had a rough start into this world and when I watched the videos on your blog it reminded me of his journey 5 months ago. Your little boy is happy in heaven and is watching you and giving you the strength everyday to cope with his loss. You are terrific people and have done all you can to take care of him while he was here. I pray that you will find the strength to carry on. God Bless you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I feel so grateful I got to know Reid and watched him grow into this sweet amazing baby boy. Reid was blessed to have such amazing parents by his side.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Michelle Capps RRT, Cobb
Dear Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWords cannot express the heartfelt sympathy I send your way. Reid was so very sweet and we have you to thank for letting us get to know him. May his little soul rest in peace.
With much love, Kathy Wallace
Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI have known both of you since we were all kids, and you have grown into beautful adults. I want to thank you for keeping this blog. I live so far away I was never able to meet Reid, but I feel like I know him. I love your family and I am so sorry this has happened. Bryce and I have been saying special prayers for Reid and he told me last night he talked to God and God said Reid is happy and that he feels good. I know he is right. All my love....
Shannon Molina
When Tomorrow Starts Without Me
ReplyDeleteWhen tomorrow starts without me
and I'm not here to see...
If the sun should rise and find your
eyes filled with tears for me,
I wish so much you wouldn't cry
the way you did today...
While thinking of the many things
we didn't get to say.
I know how much you love me,
as much as I love you...
And each time you think of me,
I know you'll miss me, too.
But when tomorrow starts without me,
please try to understand...
That Jesus came and called my name
and took me by the hand,
And said my place was ready
in heaven far above...
And that I'd have to leave behind
all those I dearly love.
So when tomorrow starts without me,
don't think we're far apart...
For every time you think of me,
I'm right here in your heart.
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteWith assistance from James, I figured out how to post a comment to the blog, in addition to the Facebook message I sent Kristen. I can't express how sorry and sad I am for you guys. I know Reid is happy, and healthy and at peace now, and I hope you guys are able to get through this with the same strength and grace that took you this far.
Love you both,
Haley
Dear Chad and Kristen,
ReplyDeleteBoth Rouba and I feel saddened by the news of Reid's passing. Every few days we would read your news and despite the ups and downs, it always put warmth in our hearts to see Reid's gentle smile and awesome strength in each posted photo. Although he was your baby boy, he was also everyone's gift from God; sent here to remind us how me must embrace our lives with positive energy against all odds. We know that Reid is in a better place and he will continue to live through all those he has touched.
With the deepest sympathy,
Garrett and Rouba
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so, so sorry. Reid had two of the best parents any little boy could have had. I'm keeping you guys in my thoughts.
Chris Scherberger
Chad and Kristen
ReplyDeleteReid, my little buddy. With those bright expressive eyes and a smile that would steal anyones heart and his way of letting you know he was not happy and everyone in the NICU knew it! Full of personality. I definitely had a soft spot in my heart for Reid and I am deeply saddened that he is no longer here in this place with you but I know he is at peace in a place undescribabley beautiful. Having recently lost someone very dear and close to me i can empathize with the feeling of sadness and yet comforted in knowing he is in heaven, with no more pain, sorrow or tears. I am praying for you and your family that each day gets a little easier and that you rest in Gods peace. To learn from a child, he touched so many people and showed such courageous strength and endurance. I will never forget him or you guys, what great awesome parents you are and im sure he would have said the same with that big smile of his Reid, my little buddy. Courageous, fighter, rock star, little angel whom we were honored enough to be graced with his presence.
Angela Mcloyd RRT NICU
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am Robyn's mom and have kept up with all of you through this blog. I am broken-hearted to hear of Reid's death and know this dear child has touched the hearts of many. You were loving, attentive parents, and although this is a very sad time for you, how blessed you were to have had your son for a little while. He ran the race and is now with the Lord as happy and healthy as can be.
I started praying for Reid when Robyn called me and will continue to pray for your peace and comfort.
Sheryl Clarke
No words can express how sorry I am to hear about Reid. I followed along on the blog and loved seeing the pictures of this cheerful little guy despite all he was going through. Hoping you find some peace in the days to come and I'm keeping you all in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteDear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy parents are neighbors of your parents, Chad, and I have been following Reid's progress. You have been in my thoughts and prayers, and we are so sorry for your loss. I hope you find comfort and peace during this difficult time and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
Sarah (Hall) Schoen
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteYou had to make an unthinkable choice and my heart bleeds for you. We have followed your story for some time all the way from California and your family, and especially sweet little Reid, have been in my thoughts and prayers daily. Thank you for sharing his short life with us, I know he is a much better place now and is at peace and without pain.
I am so sorry, I hope you find peace in the days to come.
Amy
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Carrie and I'm very close friends with Alison. While I didn't follow the blog she always kept me posted on how Reid and the two of you were doing. I can't fathom what you are going through but I know you have been amazingly strong - Reid obviously got that from his parents. My mom and I have been praying for Reid and you and your family and friends for a long time and we will continue to do so especially now. I'm so sad and sorry for your loss and hope you can find peace in knowing that Reid is in a better place, healthy and happy and playing in the dirt, with the frogs, everything that you said he was doing. May God bless the two of you in this most difficult time and may your memories with Reid bring you comfort. I look forward to meeting such strong and amazing people and getting to know you as I know I will once I'm back in Atlanta. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Carrie
We've followed your journey, and we're so saddened to hear the untimely conclusion of Reid's story. Our hearts and prayers go out to you...
ReplyDeleteWe have followed you journey through our dearest friend Erica Mills. My family prayed daily and I am sad to see this happen. However, I can imagine Reid in heaven with the perfect set of lungs!!!! And yes, I am pretty confident that he is up there digging up all the bugs heaven can hold!! We will continue to pray for your family.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Andy, Kelly & Drew Boerckel
A Tribute to Reid
ReplyDeleteOne tough little angel came your way
Before his time, yet determined to stay
He touched many hearts and then displayed
Great courage and strength fighting day after day
With doctors, loving parents and family by his side
And many others praying that he’d be fine
Could not change the outcome or the signs
You see God called Reid home, it was simply his time
feel His embrace.
ReplyDeleteMount Pisgah prayer team member
KRISTEN AND CHAD,
ReplyDeleteTHERE ARE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY SORROW FOR THE LOSS OF YOUR ADORABLE LITTLE BOY. I JUST KNOW THAT WHILE REID IS UP IN HEAVEN PICKING UP WORMS AND CATCHING FROGS, HE HAS BECOME YOUR NEW "LITTLE" ANGEL, WATCHING AND PROTECTING HIS MOMMY AND DADDY.
Chad and Kristen:
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing that can be said that will ever take away your pain during this difficult time. You have lost a son, while others have lost a grandson and a nephew, but we have all lost our little hero. Reid was a fighter until the very end and he will be missed. Thank you for your strength and sharing Reid with the rest of the world. We love you all.
Brian Pagel
Dear Kristin and Chad. It was my pleasure to take care of your precious baby Reid a few days in the Cobb NICU. I so enjoyed getting to know Reid and Kristin and have continued to follow your journey. I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my prayers as he has completed his journey home to be with the Lord! May God grant you peace! Terri Brooks
ReplyDeleteChad and Kristen and Baby Reid,
ReplyDeleteI have been praying for all of you and watching quitely from afar. No words can take away the pain of being separated from such a package of joy that we have all come to adore and have had hope of watching him grow. Knowing he is with God and someday we will get to see him there and he will be standing with open arms to hug us all in a big welcome to heaven smile. God watch over you, Chad and Kristen, and may He strengthen you in this time of sorrow.
In Christ and love,
Bob Van Laecke
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteIt was a pleasure to take care of baby Reid in the NICU at Cobb for a few days and I have continued to follow your journey. I am so sorry for your loss but very grateful for the time you were given with such a sweet child. His journey on earth has ended but he will be waiting for you with open arms. I will continue to pray for you both that God will be with you during your time of sorrow.
Rebecca Logan
Cobb NICU
Although I never met Reid I cried many tears over him today, over such a precious, innocent little babe. He was so lucky to have such devoted parents who loved him until the very end. My heart is with you and Kristen.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Alex (Gill) Lok
Our hearts go out with deepest sympathy to you both. Your words here have demonstrated an amazing depth of strength and courage that have helped Reid reach out and touch many of us that never got to meet him in person. Use that strength to comfort one another now.
ReplyDeleteWith Love, Isabelle, Keven and Luci.
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about Reid. We have been checking the blog daily to see how he was doing and we are so sad for your loss. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Beth and Carlos Casas
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteWith tears in my eyes, I have read this blog from start to finish, even though I just started following it a few short weeks ago. We have never met, but my mom takes care of Yardly, Ms. Carol's sweet dog. Words can't begin to express how truely sorry I am for your loss. Reid was such a fighter and the two of you were so amazing to share your journey with all of us. Our continuous thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
With love,
Kelly, Brian, Madyson and Olivia Chebret
Oh, Kristen and Chad, I cannot tell you the grief I feel for you, but also the hope and knowledge that you shall see that precious child again someday. He is waiting in the arms of Jesus. Jimmie and i have prayed, our church and friends have prayed and continue to pray for you. We trust God because we know His heart, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt so badly. We shall continue to pray for God's comfort and the comfort of family and friends. We love you and are here for you for anything you need.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
Jimmie and Louise
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is with you. I'm so so sorry that it had to be that way.
Julia
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Reid with us through your blog. We send you our love and prayers, and know our thoughts are with you.
Susan and Jay Hall
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so, so sorry. I too followed Reid's and your story daily, and appreciated the opportunity to watch him grow. You and your family have been, and certainly will be, in my thoughts and prayers.
-David Waters
Dear Kristen and Chad -
ReplyDeleteMy sincere sympathy to you both. I know Reid is in the greatest place of all and I pray you can take comfort in that. He was truely blessed to have caring parents like you. - Eric Huff
Loss leaves a heartache no one can heal, but love leaves a memory no one can steal.
Kristen and Chad, I just want you to know what an honor it was to take care of Reid. He was such a sweet little guy. I loved to see his big smile. He was so lucky to have you two as his parents. You to stood by him every step of the way, with him every day, full of love. You two are the most amazing parents I have ever watched go through many months of ups and downs. You always had a united front. I will carry a little bit of Reid with me always. I am sending my prayers and a lot of love your way. Jacki Moore
ReplyDeleteKristen, Chad, Carol and Bill
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry to hear about Ried! We know he fought hard. You will see him again one day. You are in our prayers.
Love Pat and Stan
Dear Kristen and Chad, I cannot tell you how devastated I was to learn of your beautiful little Reid's untimely death. My heart aches for you over this incredible loss. The strength, love, and courage you all shared was absolutely amazing. You have been an inspiration to everyone that has read Reid's Blog. Take care of each other - Reid is running and playing with the angels and will always be watching out for you.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers will constantly be with you.
Love,
Connie Dineen Hoover
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteYou are two of the strongest, courageous and amazing parents I have come to know. Kristen your strength/fight for Reid began well before he even graced the world with his presence! He learned from the two of you how to be a fighter and how to push the limits. While we don't always know what God's plan is or why things happen, I'd like to share with you what an effect your journey has had on me as parent and a human being. I make a point to no longer take for granted the time I get with my family and friends. It's so easy to get caught up in the "rat race" and forget that in the blink of an eye everything can change. I'm much more patient, with my daughter in particular (A "5-alarm" tantrum in the middle of grocery shopping is no longer a big deal). We always give an extra hug and make sure I love you has been said before leaving no matter what. I know this extends far beyond me just in reading the comments above. I pray that you find peace in knowing that Reid is breathing easy and proudly smiling down on the two of you. Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. The three of you have touched more lives than you will ever know.
Kelly Jervis
Although I do not know you, a freind of your family told me of the loss of your precious son, Reid. Your blog tells the story of how he was a fighter. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your beautiful boy is now at peace, and he is one of God's special angels. My prayers are with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteKaren Decker
Your fight for Reid has been truly inspirational for myself and others. The dedication you and Kristen had made me realize what it is to love a newborn child. Reid deserved better as did your family, but you will soon be together once again. I wish you all the best and hope you are able to recover from this difficult time.
ReplyDelete-Firoze
Reid will always be a part of the two of you and our family, regardless of the physical loss we have endured. In just nine months time he has left a positive legacy of inspiration, strength, love, courage and joy. We will borrow from his enduring spirit in our lives going forward, and keep him in our heart forever.
ReplyDeleteKristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family for many months - and I will continue to keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers. I'm thankful for the blessing Reid was to you for 10 months, and I know he'll always live on in your hearts. God bless you both!!
In Him,
Tanya Sammis
Kristen, Chad, & all of your extended families,
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers have been with you through this journey with your precious Reid. With you they will remain as you all walk through these next days. I pray for all of the peace and comfort that the Lord can provide for you. Thank you for sharing all that you have with all of us. The strength that you all have is inspiring. God bless you!
Kiera Sammis
Kristen and Chad - Because I know my mom would want to post here but cannot because she is out of town... I will post her name. She has also prayed for you guys as well as Reid since we learned of his birth. I am sure that she will send you a message herself as soon as she is able.
ReplyDeleteJanalin Hood
signing for Linda Hittle
My name is Sue Ryan, I live in Leavenworth, KS and my children grew up in the same church and
ReplyDeletegrade schools as Kristen and Erica. They used
to come to my house before and after school as
their Mother taught school at that time and needed to be at her school before they were
dropped off at school. I have been reading Reid's blog regularily every since I heard about
it shortly after he was born. I feel as if I know Chad as well as I know Kristen even tho I
have not had the pleasure of meeting him. I
was so optomistic about his recovery because that
was the message each of you put out with each
blog. We have antique cars and were out of town
June 7-11 at a Regional Meet in Omaha, NB. I was
out of touch that week and was shocked when I
read the blog on June 14th. You two are the greatest parents ever and Reid was so lucky to
have family that could give him the care he
deserved and needed so desperately. You have
suffered and endured more in the past nine months
than most parents do in a lifetime. I have been
praying for you and will continue to do so. God
Bless. Love Sue
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. My dad, Doug McKinney, is friends with Chad's parents and he sent me your link today. I have been sitting here with tears streaming down my face for the last 2 hours as I have read your blog. You have been such brave and loving parents - truely amazing. I am a mother of a 28 week miracle and understand much of what you have gone through for the last 9 months. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I when I look at the stars at night I will know Reid is shining down on all that loved him.
Stacy Hensley
God's Garden Must Be Beautiful
ReplyDeleteGod looked around the garden,
and found an empty space.
He looked down upon the earth,
and saw your tired face.
He put His arms around you,
and lifted you to rest.
God's garden must be beautiful
for He only takes the best.
He knew that you were weary,
and He knew you were in pain.
He knew that you would never,
be well on earth again.
He saw the road was getting tough,
and hills were hard to climb.
So he closed your weary eyelids,
and whispered.
PEACE BE THINE
Dear Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI cannot even read your blogs outloud without crying. I have to stop and come back little by little to be able to take it all in.
I am so thankful to have gotten to know and take care of Reid. He had an amazing journey in this life that let us learn from him, grow as people, experience greater hope, be joyous in the small things like a smile, a laugh, taking a paci or taking a stroll in the garden.
Reid brought so much joy to so many people. I know that your constant persistence and dedication or just plain love for your child got him through the many hurdles he had to face. All I know is that he did not go through it alone. You guys were always there for him, strengthening him with your love along the way.
I will miss his infectious smile, flirting with all the ladies, and times that he had to watch cartoons. I remember seeing the note for the nurses from mom, "please do not let Reid watch more than 30 mins of tv at a time", that was so precious to me! He loved Thomas the train and musicals! It would just grab his attention-he just wanted constant interaction. He was so lovely! I do remember all the tricks we had to do to help him calm as well. . .rock him up and down , pat him constantly, or hold his hand.
You are loved. Reid was loved. I'm so happy he is looking down from Heaven without any tubes, oxygen, or an isolation room with yellow gowns!
Love,
Faith Ramos, CHOA NICU RN
Hi loving parents,
ReplyDeleteI'm writing to you today from San Francisco where I just heard of your horrible loss and I wanted to let you know that your family is top of mind. Please know that your story truly strikes a chord. I hope that the >110 more comments than you expected (only 40 readers? no way!) will give you the tiniest bit of solace and will help you in some way.
Praying very hard for little reid and his terrific mom and dad,
leslie
(friend of trish ajello)
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteI work at KSU with Alison and she brought Reid into my life. I have cheered at the high moments and sobbed at the low. Many people before me have written so eloquently about how much Reid's life touched theirs. I can only echo those sentiments and send you wishes of hope and peace. Reid's sweetest memories will live with us all.
Susan GR
Kristen and Chad,
ReplyDeleteMay the love Reid brought you and your precious memories bring you comfort at this time.
Gino and Lynn Fedeli
May you cherish the memories of your precious little boy and find comfort in the grace of God's will.
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy that Reid was a part of our lives. Thanks for sharing him with us. Your entire family is in my thoughts and prayers. Ann Anderson RN Cobb NICU
ReplyDeleteThinking and praying for your family today. No parent should ever have to bury their child. Hope you find peace soon.
ReplyDeleteThank you for allowing us to follow in your journey. You guys and your family are in my prayers. I can't wait to meet Reid in heaven.
ReplyDeleteRebecca Carr (Trower)
Praying for peace and healing for your family. Kristen and I knew each other in highschool and just reconnected today. I read your entire blog beginning to end tonight and am so sorry for your loss. Reid will always be with you. Cherish the good memories and know that he is at peace and you will see him again. May you find comfort soon.
ReplyDeleteKatie (Tallman) Kazor