Monday, October 19, 2009


I know it is time to post a new blog when I start getting bombarded with people asking why there hasn't been any posts in a few days. It was a fairly busy weekend with Kristen's baby shower. The lack of posts may also be due to the fact that there hasn't been a ton of changes for Reid other than the fact that he seems to be a much happier camper and enjoys sucking the heck out of his pacifiers.

His oxygen levels have come down and are hovering around 50%. His CPAP levels have also come down and is currently on level 5. He is now getting blood gas tests every 12 hours and when his CO2 levels come down a little they will start weaning the CPAP even further. Dr. Metcalf hopes to be able to move to the high flow nasal cannula within the next week, but is obviously dependent on Reid's progress. He is getting close to the age where they can start to attempt breast feeding, so they are anxious to get him off the CPAP as well.

Reid had his second eye exam today and Kristen was actually holding him when the doctor performed the exam. Not the nicest thing to watch as they dilate his eyes, put in a metal contraption to keep his eyes open and then a metal probe that makes the eye come to center. The doctor has this funny looking gear on his head (similar to what night vision looks like) and then uses a magnifying glass (on top of the magnification his gear already has) to look at Reid's retinas to check on the tiny blood vessel's growth. Prognosis: eyes are looking good but are still premature. He will have a follow-up exam in about another 2 weeks.

Reid had some good visits over the weekend. Not only was he held by Kristen and me, but his Grandma Elley as well. My mom was just tickled that she was able to hold her grandson!!! When Grandma Hart makes her next visit, Reid will be ready for her to hold his as well.

Not sure of what I think about this whole work thing that starts again tomorrow... I have been able to come and go as I please pretty much all summer and visit Reid when I wanted, so it is going to be a big adjustment for us all. Kristen will have to start visiting during the day by herself and I will have to make my visits during the evening. We will start having a more strict schedule around the house (which might not be a bad thing). No more going to bed at 1am and waking up at 9 in the morning. :)

I head out of town tomorrow night for a quick two day visit to DC and I think Kristen is going to spend the week sorting through all of the wonderful gifts we received over the weekend. In addition, she will be washing and putting away the 2 tons of pass-me-down clothes we have received from the Williams and the Hamer families. Reid will definitely be one of the best dressed kids on the block!!! He has some great clothes to wear when he comes home as well as ones he will need to grow into.

Not much else is new right now, so I will close this post with a big thank you to the Elley's, Williams' and Pagel's for the great baby shower they hosted for us. Also, a big thank you to our friends and family that were able to join!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, he really looks great, you guys! Thanks for keeping everyone posted. Kristen, I´ve been thinking of you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks sooo beautiful and alert :) I love to be able to read Chad's posts everyday! It's amazing what love can do for each and everyone of us. Take care! Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see the progress! Wish I could've been at the shower- would love to see you guys! Lots of thoughts and prayers are making their way from big D.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete